Chiropractic Treatment of Sciatica
We see a lot of patients in our office who are experiencing the very difficult pain of sciatica. The good news is that chiropractic care can, and does, help. Unfortunately many come to us only after suffering for some time, not realizing we could have relieved their pain much earlier.
Sciatica doesn’t have one root problem behind it. Instead, there are basically 6 causes that are responsible for most cases:
1. Lumbar Herniated Disc – also known as a slipped disc
2. Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction – This joint, located at the base of the spine, when irritated, will in turn irritate the L5 Nerve that lies on top of it. This usually results in pain in the legs, rather than the lower back area.
3. Piriformis Syndrome – Occurs when the piformis muscle irritates or pinches a nerve root of the sciatic nerve, which travels underneath it.
4. Degenerative Disc Disease – As you age discs can degenerate in the lower back, which can irritate the sciatic nerve, causing inflammation.
5. Lumbar Spinal Stenosis – Common more in those over 60. The spine ages along with us and, as it does, narrows the spinal canal, placing pressure on the nerve roots.
6. Isthmic Spondylolisthesis – This happens when one vertebra slips over another, pinching the nerve.
With all of these potential origins, what can your chiropractor do to bring relief?
How Does Chiropractic Care Treat Sciatica?
Your chiropractor’s goal is to return to you your spinal movement so the inflammation can be reduced and eventually remove your pain completely.
This is done through a variety of treatments, which vary from person to person as well as the root cause of your sciatica. These treatments can consist of, but aren’t limited to, such measures as chiropractic adjustments, exercises focused on rehabilitation and ice/heat therapy applications.
Though relief can begin at the first visit, there is no overnight solution. Repeated visits and your commitment to following treatment guidelines on your own are often required to bring true relief and healing.
The good news is that we have successfully helped many patients here in Honolulu with their sciatica pain and we can do the same for you.